In 1957, Lionism in District 60 started with the formation of the first Lions Club in Suriname, the Paramaribo Central Lions Club. The success of this club was quite evident when in 1960 the concept of rendering humanitarian service to the needy under one organization was introduced in Guyana.
In 1961, the Barbados Lions Club, now called the Bridgetown Central Lions Club was formed. Together these three Lions Clubs formed the nucleus of what was then known as the Provisional District P (PDP).
In 1963, Trinidad was, however, placed into District "P" and the growth of Lionism in the District continued apace with the formation of several more clubs in Guyana, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago. In 1965, Trinidad North Lions Club sponsored Grenada, Bridgetown, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Dominica and Antigua Lions Clubs. By this time "PDP" was made District 60.
By 1974, there were now more than 60 clubs in District 60 and District Governor Bernard Cridland proposed that the District be made a Multiple District. The proposal was not accepted by International on the grounds that the Constitution required each Sub-District to have a minimum of 35 Clubs with a membership of at least 1250 Lions. In addition, some of the clubs proposed were not interested in joining this District.
The District was then divided into six (6) regions:
The second proposal was made in 1978 and the major draft of the Multiple District Constitution was written by Lion Edward Hart. The proposal was accepted and the District was finally made a Multiple District in 1980 at the Convention in Jamaica.
Today, there are two Sub-Districts, 60A and 60B. 60A comprises of Guyana, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago whilst 60B comprises of clubs in Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Netherland Antilles and the US Virgin Islands (and formerly in Montserrat).