CLAUDIUS BUNCAMPER, MJF
District Governor 2012-13
Lion Claudius was born in St. Maarten on May 3rd 1963, where he attended the St. Joseph primary school and Milton Peters College. At the young age of 16 Claudius left for Aruba where he graduated cum laude within 3 years from the Technical College.
After graduating from technical college he migrated to Curacao where he attended the University of the Netherland Antilles and in 1990 graduated with a bachelor in science in the field of Mechanical engineering with a specialization in alternative energies.
In 1986 during his studies in Curacao Claudius moved to the Netherlands for 1 year and attended the University in Tilburg. It was during this time that Claudius finally met and fell in love with his wife to be Maria. They both returned to Curacao in 1987 and in 1990 Claudius graduated from the university and headed back to his beloved island to start his professional career.
- In January 1991 Claudius started his professional career at the utility company GEBE as junior engineer and within 2 years was appointed senior engineer and deputy power plant chief. After assisting the company with a complete restructuring from 1993-1995 Claudius moved on to new challenges.
- In 1995 he was appointed as executive assistant to the commissioner in charge of energy, sports, aviation affairs and other responsibilities. September 1995 hurricane Luis struck and devastated St. Maarten and Claudius requested to leave the executive post and to go work in a make shift container village that housed about 1000 residents as head of technical services and security. A true sign of serving mankind.
- Within 3 years Claudius became the head of Public works on the island. In 2007 Claudius was appointed deputy director of the ministry of Spatial planning and infrastructural management. In 2009 Claudius was promoted to department head of New Works and infrastructural management besides also functioning as deputy director.
- In 2010 with St. marten becoming country Claudius took on the task as head of Infrastructure Management within the Ministry.
During Claudius’ school career he was very instrumental in setting up student bodies and at the university he occupied during the student representative seat in the faculty and university board of directors for 5 years until he left to pursue his professional career.
During the past 2 decades Lion Claudius has contributed to the community of the Netherlands Antilles and St. Maarten in particular in the following capacities:
- Chairman of the Board of “No Kidding with our kids Foundation 1999 until 2010
- President of the St. Maarten chapter “Scouting Antilliano”. 1994 until present
- Union representative of the NABLP union during the period of 1999-2003 which union represented over 1000 employees on the island.
- Board member of the St. Maarten Ports Authority 2004-2007
- Founder of the brass band “Brass Revolution” in Curacao 1983
- President of the student body of the University of the Netherland Antilles 1982-1985 and 1987-1990
- Member of Caribbean Focal point (subdivision UNESCO environment 1991-1994
- Chairman ASEWI (Association Staff Employees Windward Islands) 1994-2003
- Founder and longtime board member “Lekkerbek (sweetmouth)” softball team
- Blooddonor since 1998
- Board member A-Must Foundation which handles all environmental aspects including laws about garbage disposal.
- Board member St. Maarten telecommunication Company 2007-2008
- President Lions Civic center foundation 2000-2007
Lion Claudius is a well-respected Citizen in St. Maarten and is frequently approached for his advice based on his integrity, expertise and community mindedness.
Lion Claudius joined the St. Maarten Lions Club in May, 1993 after serving as a Leo in the St. Maarten Leo club and holding the position of president for 2 years. During his tenure as a lion, Claudius has achieved and contributed as follows:
- President 1997-98 and 2001-2002.
- Secretary no less than 3 times. The only position not held is that of Treasurer.
- Served as a Board Member for 14 consecutive years
- He has a 17 years perfect attendance.
- In 1990 he reactivated the Leo Club of St. Maarten with the assistance of Lions Wally and Maxime and served as its president for the years 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 Upon entering the Lions movement in 1993 he decided to stick to his Leo roots and became their advisor for the next 2 years.
- Served on District Level as Zone Chairman, Region Chairman, Convention Chairman, District Leo Chairman, Environmental and Disaster Chairman, Activities Chairman, 2nd VDG, 1st VDG and many other associate district positions
Lion Claudius has attended many Zone, Region, Cabinet Meetings as well as Mid Year Conferences, District and International Conventions.
His valuable contributions to the Community were recognized by the Club in awarding him in 1997 the Melvin Jones Fellowship.
Lion Claudius is happily married for 22 years to his Charming spouse Maria, a former Senator and State Secretary of the Netherlands Antilles , a former Island Council member and Commissioner of the island territory of St. Maarten and a former Minister of Country St. Maarten. Maria is an active member of the St. Maarten Rotary Club.
They are the proud parents of: Sasha and Claudius Anthony Buncamper III who are presently both studying in the Netherlands. Both Sasha and Anthony are former members of the St. Maarten Leo Club
Lion Claudius is a fervent advocate of Sustainable Community Development and offers his wealth of Experience in Lionism to the District in order to achieve our motto: We Serve.
For his commitment and untiring service to the Government of the Netherlands Antilles and community of St. Maarten particularly, Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands bestowed on him the decoration of “Member in the Order of Orange Nassau” in April 2005.
I now present to you “Lion Claudius “Tony” Buncamper” for the position of DG of Sub District 60B.